Scores of viewers enjoyed watching a total of 18 winners pick up their trophies at the first Westside Excellence Awards on Sunday night.
The virtual awards, launched to celebrate the district’s daytime economy, were broadcast live on YouTube and were hosted by local radio presenter Natalie Graham and sports commentator Tom Marlow.
Viewers were also treated to an exciting live performance by internationally renowned soul singer Jaki Graham, who was born in Birmingham.
Dipesh Mistry, chairman of Westside BID, who opened the ceremony, said: “We were delighted to hold the very first Westside Excellence awards, aimed at recognising, supporting and celebrating the daytime economy that plays a vital element in the Westside district.”
Watch the full Westside Excellence Awards ceremony here:
The winners were as follows …
- Excellence in Heritage and Arts: The Round House. Tom Marlow said: “This charity is continuously working with local communities to highlight the cultural gems in our city.”
- Excellence in Local Arts: Ikon Gallery. Natalie Graham said: “This independent, not-for-profit exhibition venue for contemporary and modern art truly is a great destination for family and friends!”
- Excellence in Music and Culture: The CBSO Centre. Tom said: “This organisation is the flagship of musical life in Birmingham.”
- Excellence in Community and Wellbeing: The Canal & River Trust. Tom said: “This organisation plays a key part in the heritage of Westside and the wider parts of Birmingham, managing 2,000 miles of waterways.”
- Excellence in Personal Care: The Gentleman Barbers. Tom said: “This organisation’s dedicated team worked non-stop when lockdown ended, providing all your grooming needs in a friendly and relaxed environment.”
- Excellence in Medical Services: The Dentist at Liberty Place. Natalie said: “Whether it’s a dental check-up or aesthetics, this is the perfect place to look after your health.”
- Excellence in Rail and Engineering Services: Alstom Birmingham. Natalie said: “This global player is the leading provider of trains, systems, equipment and services for the rail sector in the UK and in Ireland. They also support local communities with a foundation.”
- Excellence in Meeting and Event Space Provision: Institution of Engineering and Technology. Tom said: “This organisation has a large variety of rooms and is an ideal destination for conferences, meetings, awards ceremonies, pop-up cinemas or gala dinners.”
- Excellence in Workspace Provision: Alpha Works. Tom said: “From hot-desking to private office space, teams can enjoy these contemporary co-working premises in a modern environment in the heart of the city with a beautiful landscape as the backdrop.”
- Excellence in Insurance Services: Quest Gates Ltd. Natalie said: “This loss-adjusting company provides the highest customer service levels and technical expertise. They operate throughout the UK and Ireland, with a head office here in Westside.”
- Excellence in Systems and Data Management: Terraquest. Tom said: “This organisation is renowned for delivering bespoke, flexible, and efficient services, priding themselves on strong customer relationships.”
- Excellence in Workplace Life Balance Facilities: Tricorn House. Natalie said: “This newly refurbished and redesigned building is one of the district’s most popular office locations, with an impressive lounge and gym.”
- Excellence in Marketing and Business Support: The West Midlands Growth Company. Natalie said: “This organisation helps the region to make its mark nationally and internationally, increasing jobs, businesses and productivity. It works closely with the West Midlands Combined Authority, Local Enterprise Partnerships, councils, growth hubs, universities, Chambers of Commerce and the private sector.”
- Excellence in Estate Management: Natal Chapman and her team at Broadway Plaza. Natalie said: “This individual and her colleagues create huge additionality to their area, working directly with businesses to ensure they achieve the very best results, and keeping their tenants happy at all times.”
- Excellence in Property Management: Places Birmingham. Tom said: “This city centre specialist prides itself on knowing every area, every development and apartment complex intimately. Customer satisfaction is achieved via an open line of communication.”
- Excellence in Local Media Services: Local TV Birmingham. Natalie said: “This organisation is the UK’s largest local TV network, broadcasting important stories and and issues to viewers in Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Liverpool, Tyne & Wear, Teesside and North Wales.”
- Outstanding Contribution to Westside BID: Steve Evans. Tom said: “Steve has spent years providing valuable input, time and enthusiasm to activities undertaken by the Westside BID team and has become a great supporter and friend.”
- Outstanding Contribution to Charitable Causes: Gerald Manton, The Round Table. Natalie said: “The Round Table is about fun, friendship and trying something new and exciting. They pride themselves on giving members the chance to embrace life to the full. Gerard’s hard work doesn’t go unnoticed, and the BID is pleased to call this person a friend and director.”