Staff from Westside BID have been busy making personal but safe deliveries of trophies to this year’s winners in the Wonders of Westside awards (WOWs).
The presentations to venues across the district follow the virtual WOWs awards ceremony that was aired live on YouTube to hundreds of viewers on Sunday 31 January.
A short video to mark the distribution of the trophies has been produced by Westside’s photographer and videographer Jas Sansi.
This shows celebrity chef Aktar Islam, who runs Pulperia on Westside, explaining his eagerness to get back to serving customers in his restaurants, with other winners expressing their joy at winning an award.
Elaine Weir, business liaison manager for Westside BID, said: “The year 2020 was a challenge for all businesses, but the feedback we received on the WOWs was truly incredible.
“I believe the WOWs awards were a great way to lift the morale of our wonderful businesses and remind them of all the things they have to look forward to in Westside.”
The WOWs recognised the following Westside businesses and staff:
- Community Contribution Hero’s Award – The Grosvenor Casino
- The Humanitarian Award – Players Bar
- The People’s Hero Award – i-Krave, Broadway Plaza
- The Best Example of Corporate Responsibility Award – Park Regis
- The Best Hotel Team – Hilton Garden Inn
- The Best Hotel Manager – John Angus
- The Best Arts and Entertainment Venue – joint winners: The REP Theatre, and The NEC Group
- The Best Family Entertainment – The National Sea Life Centre
- The Best Retail Business – Ethos Flowers, Brindleyplace
- The Most Innovative Marketing Award – Pulperia/Aktar Islam, Brindleyplace
- The Police Commendation Award – West Midlands Police
- The Ambulance Commendation Award – Mike Duggan, West Midlands Ambulance.
- The Outreach Commendation Award – Trident House and Washington Court.
- The Best Pub – O’Neill’s, Broad Street
- The Best Refurbishment – Del Villaggio, Broad Street
- The Best Bar – Velvet Music Rooms, Broad Street
- The Best Example of Legislative Adaption Award – Jurys Inn, Broad Street
- The Most Courageous Reopening Award – Reflex, Broad Street
- The Best Restaurant Award – Varanasi, Broad Street.
- The Best Pub Manager – Paulo Jacinto
- The Special Managers Award – Medi Bahram Choobin
- The Best Newcomer – The Alchemist, Brindleyplace
- The Best Fine Dining Award – Siamais, Brindleyplace
- The Best Innovative Promoter Award – Rosanna Meyer, Vodbull UK
- A True Example of Community Leadership Award – Sam Morgan
▪ The WOWs awards ceremony can still be viewed here: https://youtu.be/c0u7yOyqHNY
Main picture outside of Pulperia taken by Jesse Gerald. Other pictures taken by Jas Sansi
By Luisa Huggins